In today’s tech-driven world, ground-breaking innovations are disrupting in almost every industry. Thanks to the penetration of mobile apps across all niches, healthcare apps are revolutionizing the medical ecosystem and how.
Widely known as mHealth or mobile health apps, more than 90% of US-based physicians use smartphones daily to work with EHRs, interact with patients, and carry out other medical practices. In the last couple of years, mHealthcare apps have witnessed double growth in terms of app downloads leading to better and faster medical care.
What is mHealth?
In its simplest definition, mHealth is a specific way to utilize mobile technology to achieve improved health goals. Recently, the World Health Organization has defined mHealth as the “use of mobile and wireless technologies to support the achievement of health objectives.”
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) defines mHealth as “the use of mobile and wireless devices (cell phones, tablets, etc.) to improve health outcomes, health care services, and health research.”
If you notice, the keyword in both the definitions above is ‘mobile’. Simply put, mHealth apps provide medical care and healthcare services through mobile apps, wearables, personal digital assistants, and other gadgets.
Important Facts Indicating the Rise of On-demand Healthcare Apps
- The adoption of telehealth solutions at clinics has risen by 340%, while 79% of patients have shared positive feedback about mHealth apps. (Source: Healthcare Dive)
- It is estimated that by the year 2022, 97% of hospital nurses, and 98 percent of doctors will be using mobile devices in treating their patients. (Source: Zebra Tech)
- The mobile healthcare market worldwide is expected to reach $90.49 billion by 2020. (Source: Statistics.com)
- 74% of the people who experienced a virtual health care service were very satisfied. (Source: Accenture)
- Nearly 50% of patients prefer an immediate, virtual appointment over an in-person visit. (Source: Accenture)
Benefits of On-Demand Healthcare Apps for Patients
From the above statistics, it is evident that mHealth apps have a lot to offer to healthcare professionals and patients. Let’s discuss various advantages we get from mHealth apps:
Needless to say, mHealth apps offer great convenience to patients, especially elderly people and kids residing far away from cities. It gives them direct access to medical experts and healthcare facilities with just a few taps on their smartphones. Plus, real-time consultation and ordering medicines are now easier than ever before.
Medical professionals often get stressed out due to the insane workload and the nature of their jobs. This can take a toll on their productivity and overall health. This is where mHealth apps play a positive role by improving the efficiency of their workflows, reducing manual documentation, providing precise information, and thus resulting in more time and improved efficiency.
Reduced healthcare costs
When it comes to medical costs, it’s undeniable that medical appointments, consultation, and treatments can burn a hole in your pocket. Thanks to medical apps, patients can save considerable money (and time) by keeping a check on their health, finding remedies, consulting doctors through in-app chat features.
As per a Forbes study, doctors waste two-thirds of their time doing unnecessary paperwork. One of the biggest advantages that mHealth apps offer is smart, paperless medical documentation that can be accessed anytime by doctors. Test reports, prescriptions, medical history, and other important records can be well-maintained in a paperless manner through mHealth apps.
Better care & communication
At a clinic, an average appointment or consultation with a doctor lasts for about 30 minutes or so. Giving enough time to every patient is difficult when the number of patients waiting outside is more. With mHealth apps, patients can video call doctors and if required, schedule a visit at their home for a proper diagnosis and get better care.
With the surge in mHealth app usage, doctors and healthcare providers can build a strong name, have a regular flow of patients, improve customer experience without much investment in staff, equipment, and infrastructure. Thus, enjoying a higher ROI and increased profits in the long run.
Furthermore, a report from a Swedish market research firm has predicted that by 2021, there will be 50.2 million patients monitored remotely, of which 22.9 million will be monitored remotely using their own smartphone.
A Look at Popular Healthcare Apps
Here are some of the top mHealth apps making waves in 2020. Let’s take a look at them:
- Doctor on demand: A popular doctor on-demand app helping patients to book appointments and then meet with healthcare experts online.
- PingMD: It is a US-based HIPAA-compliant doctor on-demand application that lets patients communicate with doctors in real-time.
- Heal: This mHealth app allows patients to book physician house-calls through its app.
- MDLIVE: It is another reliable on-demand healthcare app that connects patients with board-certified and state licensed-doctors.
Getting Started with Your Own On-Demand Healthcare App
Moving to the next segment, let’s discuss various things you must consider if you’re investing in doctor on-demand or mHealth apps.
- Understand the varied needs of patients
- Know your target audience
- Maintain a secure database and network
- Devise the right business strategy and revenue model
- Select the right app features (search, analytics, in-app camera, reminders, one-click booking, in-app chat and call, document scanning and sharing, etc)
- Choose the right tech stack
- Follow necessary compliances (HIPAA, HL7, FDA, HITECH, HHS, EPSC, etc)
- Integrate various technologies (Artificial intelligence, virtual reality, blockchain, augmented reality, voice search)
- Hire a reputed mobile app development company
Choose Applify to develop your mHealth app
As a leading and award-winning mobile and web app development company, we have built numerous on-demand apps for all industry verticals including healthcare. Our highly skilled team of on-demand developers is well-versed with all the latest technologies to deliver the best mHealth app for your business.
To sum up, all mHealth apps developed by Applify have made patients’ lives easier in one way or the other along with higher ROI to the businesses. If you’re looking for a top app development company to develop a custom mobile health app for your hospital or healthcare business, contact us right now. Our expert consultant will get back to you in 24 hours.